Sunday, June 21, 2009

Muscle soreness

Just created a post, not sure if people even know to read the comments haha.

Anyways I think the big thing is the microscopic tears. Lactic Acid is cleared out within a few hours so that is not going to be the cause. The others seem more related to fatigue than soreness. Another cause not mentioned is misalignment of the muscle fibers.

I don't see soreness as something that is bad as long as it doesn't prevent you from working out again in the window of supercompensation.

Here is an analogy:
So I am really pale and I want to get a tan. So I go out in the sun for 15 minutes and the next day my skin is burnt. So I stay inside. My body increases the pigment in my skin to make me a little darker and better able to deal with the sunlight. So I go out in the sunlight again for 15 minutes and this time I don't get burnt. I am dark enough to withstand it.

The rest of the month I go out for 15 minutes everyday. The question is how dark do I get at the end of 30 days?

The answer: Not any darker, I will get just enough to last 15 minutes.

Now think of going to the weightroom. If I go and bench press 100 lbs and I am not able to handle it, I will be sore the next day. (sunburnt) It will send a signal to my body I need to get stronger (darker) If I keep doing the same exact thing I won't get any stronger. Funny how some people will lift the same thing everyday and wonder why they aren't getting stronger.

Soreness lets me know I created a sufficient stimulus to cause an adaptation. The goal is to not get so "burnt" that I can't go out in the sun for longer then increase in pigment lasts.

Soreness is not necessary to cause adaptation, without it though you need to wait a few weeks before there are any noticible changes. Soreness is one of the few immediate signals that you are creating an appropriate stimulus. Which might be good for motivation.

No comments:

Post a Comment