Friday, November 13, 2009

Offseason training?

Do we need it?

Up until 6 months ago I would have said yes... now being in my "questioning everything" phase. I really do wonder about it.

Erika qualified for 4 different CCS events last year, due to an injury she didn't start running until February (and we had to reduce her workload when she came back) Hard to argue she didn't have enough time. Tolson did come out for Offseason training and was able to make it to CCS and take a good 4 seconds off his 400 time. Mark always did offseason training, Courtney did absolutely nothing in between seasons. Both were very successful.

Is year around training one of those "imbred thoughts" that has been passed along? The people who do offseason tend to be the most dedicated (willing to work when it isn't mandatory or required) that probably has a bigger role on thier success then offseason training. (At the very least it plays a role)

THe logic of offseason training is the better shape you are in the more you can do, if you are out of shape it will be hard to do more than a 3*150s, but someone in shape can do 6*150s. They can do more, meaning they can get in better shape meaning they will perform better.

Maybe the truth is, that difference early in the year 3 150s vs 6 150s ends up being 14 150s vs 17 150s at the end of the year which isn't as big of a difference. Or maybe after you get to the point were you can do 10 150s there is no marginal benefit of going above that.

I am still having trouble thinking there is no benefit to offseason training (shows how tough it is to get rid of ingrained thought) I think what we will do this offseason is more related to supplementry training. (Weight room, aerobic, medicine ball work)

1 comment:

  1. I think the main point of offseason training is not to start doing things sooner, but maybe just to get the exposure and just being running around - I guess I'm not a proponent of the offseason, but just getting outside and running around... The best field hockey season I had was when I was out and about running track instead of just sitting around.. The year I played 3 seasons of sports, I just got burned out from going to practice..

    So I guess what I'm trying to say is, maybe off season is nice if it can offer a change of pace - not necessarily starting your season earlier, but it can offer trying new things out, a chance to mess around and work on muscle memory - not by cutting your times and increasing your distance.

    ReplyDelete