Saturday, December 19, 2009

Goals this year

I know we are going to have a wide range of goals this year.

We have some outcome goals: I know Erika just wants to make CCS finals this year, Stephanie is looking to make it to state)
We have some performance goals: Pauline is hoping to run a 57 in the 400. I am going to want a huge amount of PRs.

I just want to remind everyone about the 3rd type of goal, process goals. Process goals are more about the technique. For example a process goal for Erika would be "I don't want to come out so low from the blocks" actually "I want to come out at a 45 degree angle" is a better way to phrase that. It would be Lauren saying "I want the second phase of my triple jump to be at least 30% of my total distance". Chelsie might say "I want my first lap to be my slowest of the race". Stuff like that Erika. Chelsie or Lauren may lose their events (outcome) and may not get PRs (performance) but their is still an important thing being accomplished. Part of the difficulty of process goals is you have to underdstand your event.

I don't think any type is anymore important, (I have my personal preferences about which are the best) but if going to state motivates Stephanie to work hard and improve then it did its job.

1 comment:

  1. Goals are always a good thing to set and you read my mind when I saw the don't, I was like - no, not the "don'ts". Positive thinking and goal setting all the way!

    ReplyDelete