Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Alumni Meet

In case anyone is wondering, this year we will be running an alumni meet. I figure that I have been around long enough that we can muster up enough alums to compete. The goal of this meet is two fold:

1) For the athletes: An introduction to what a track meet is like, in a low key situation so when the season starts they have some experience in meet conditions.

2) For the alums: More importantly a chance for alums to come back, have some fun either competing or just seeing their old teammates again.

At my college we have an alumni meet and I just competed at it for the 11th straight time (4 as athlete, 7 as an alum) One of my buddies said "You know when I left high school, I would never have pictured myself going back and competing in an alumni meet each year" I think alot of people feel the same way about track they could never imagine themselves competing after they graduate. My goal has alway been the same as a coach, get people to enjoy or at least appreciate the sport of track and field and for everyone to have a positive experience with track. I think an alumni meet is a good reflection of that. Right now I think we will only have 10-15 alums and hopefully each year that number will go up. I imagine if we did this 5 years ago the number of people would be 1-2, since most people didn't do track after their junior year anyway.

The Meet is at noon on Saturday February 27th.

3 comments:

  1. great site for L.O. track! I went to the Records page and found that no yards records are posted... can't you convert them to meters? An example is the 100 yrd dash. Hal Davis Live Oak, 1936, 9.6 sec... I can't recall of anyone coming remotely close. Mr. Davis also went on to be the NCAA 100, 200 champ... & is in the National Track & Field Hall of Fame. In addition I posted a Decathlon score of 6673 in 1978... a state record at the time. Thanks for the great site, love the video coaching too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow 6673 that is amazing. If you scroll down on the records page, http://www.liveoakcaf.com/track_Records_VarB.htm

    There is a "unbreakable records section" which has what I am assuming are 2 of your hurdle records and Hal Davis' records. I think I will add the decathlon one. Great to hear from an alum!

    Are you planning on coming to the alumni meet?

    ReplyDelete