Thursday, February 25, 2010

Good Problems to Have.

Classify this under the good problems to have catagory. Holy smokes there were alot of people at track practice yesterday. I don't remember ever having the problem were there wasnt enough room on the track for everyone. As coaches we are going to need to put alot more effort in to organization of practice then we ever needed to before. It used to just be "ok lets go to the weight room", thats not really possible anymore, we need to assign different times for the weight room, split up groups within the same event. So our life just got a little bit harder but our goal is to still provide the same 'athlete first' philosophy and attention.

This got me thinking about back when I was an athlete, the times when my grades were at their best was when I was doing a sport. In college during football season we had weightlifting from 6-7am, had class time from 8-2, then we had films everyday at 2 to watch our practice from the day before, we practiced from 3:30 to 6:00 had dinner as a team til 7:00 and then you would be exhausted and have to do your school work. When I had very little free time I became super efficient and was a good student. Then when football eneded and I had all the time in the world, things didn't get done immediately, they got postponed, I would wait til the night before to start a project and my grades would slip. It always seemed counter intuitive that I did better with less free time then I did with all the time in the world. My point is sure this is going to be more challenging for us coaches but I also think it is going to make us alot better and more effcient. SO like I said, this is a good problem to have.

(also I might need to buy more uniforms because we might not have enough)

No comments:

Post a Comment