Saturday, May 9, 2009

Season Bests

If you notice there are some marks on the PR list that say (SB) this means that the time run was a season best and not quite a PR. I think there are only 4 that are in that catagory.

My thought is this, if this is not your first year doing an event and you have done the event 6 or more times in this season then a season best is awesome. The point of PRs is to show improvement (throwing/jumping/running better then you ever have.) You can't back into a PR, well towards the end of the season I think season Bests are similar they reflect a progression.

Example: Stephanie in the 300 hurdles, she ran it 6 times this year and here were her times:

57.61 Andrew Hill
54.84 Independence
53.84 Sobrato
53.99 Del Mar
52.10 Quicksilver
55.84 Santa Teresa

Then on Tuesday she ran 50.48 and on Thursday she ran a 50.53. So while she didn't get a PR I think it is safe to say that she has been working hard and improving in her event. Which is the whole reason I recognize PRs


Anyways Season Bests tend to get overlooked because (1)they mean nothing at the beginning of the season. (2) when you get one you know you had done better at another time. Under the right condition though I think they are important and deserve to be recognized.

So technically we only have 195 PRs and 5 Season Bests (I hadn't included Stephanie). But Stephanie, Chelsie and Olivia all hit season bests at the STAL Meet. Great job ladies.

In my post yesterday about patience, I mentioned about how it was discouraging to run knowing that you had no chance of breaking your PR until May. I included the season bests on the PR list this year to show those people who weren't close to PRs that they were improving and were on the right track.

So in my mind we have had 200 Great Performances this year, but I did call it a PR list so I am going to bring it down to 195 and next year I will include SB (under the stipulation they have done an event 6 times, it is at least April, and this isn't their first year doing an event, although if it was I guess a SB would be a PR so that is irrelavant, haha)

Let me know what you guys think, leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment