Thursday, May 28, 2009

thanks for an awesome track reunion: mumbles of an alum

So, I guess I've been part of track and field for as long as Coach Mike has been coaching, but coming back from school at Cal to help make some extra funds for track by posting results and then going to CCS to watch some of the most talented athletes that Live Oak has ever seen, and then to top it off with some traditions and a track party has been a pretty great homecoming, not just because its been 2 years since I've run, but because I'm really glad to have been a part of something at Live Oak track and field family and more so because the memories keep growing.

Even though I was only around for a week here and there, to post results in the press box or help out by being an alumni partner for plyos or to give suggestions for random injuries or tape a shin splint or cheer you on for the 4*400, I appreciate everything you guys did in the season, especially when it came time to hear about pr's and soggy breads (aka season bests).

I know Coach Mike did it, but I want to thank you guys too. I want to thank the athletes, because athletes make it possible and make it worth it. Without athletes, I wouldn't need to come back, but athletes that I've run with and athletes that I just meet, I want them to have the same feelings, the same love, and the same opportunities that I got as an athlete. Because I don't want to be the only alum still coming to practice 2 years later. =D

But enough rambling on, I just wanted to say that you've joined a family - one of the greatest families ever - the Live Oak track and field family. If you ever need anything, midnight madness timers, a tour of berkeley, the inside look of a pac-10 traing room, need to meet a real strength and conditioning coach, someone to run with you up diana, someone to measure your long jumps, lights for the track in the dead of winter -what are alumni for? I'm throwing it out there that if you ask, I will make the time to help you get what you need. You try and I will meet you half way. Once you've run on that track or jumped in that sand, you're family now =D

1 comment: